Procedure for PCB production
When development steps are finished and a PCB shall be produced from a set
of design files, certain procedures assure archival of the design files, and
their availability for future reference.
The PCB may then be either ordered from an external manufacturer or produced
in-house, however, the following steps will assume external board
The board to be produced is referenced as XY-TNN.RR as explained
The steps outlined here assume that the technical work has been already
completed and the
- Create the PCB to be produced as part in EloInv:
- Part type is
- Name and value is
- Description is the part description as registered
- Add (at minimum) layer count, size, soldermask, and surface treatment to
- Status is
- Order target and minimum stock are usually
- Add supplier information with pricing as available for the amount to
be produced, and the pricing for a single item
- Category is
- Create a BOM from the schematic, and import it to EloInv.
- If the import requires manual part selections, add
to the respective parts and re-import, or use manual selection
function. All self-made libraries should include the correct
- Manually add the PCB part created above to the BOM
- Create a product in EloInv, using an appropriate name and description, or
select an existing product into which the newly produced PCB is to be
integrated (probably this should be an "assembly" type product).
- Add the BOM created above to the product of choice
- Create the required set of Gerber files for board production, and add them
to a subdirectory
gerber in the design file directory.
- Create a signed git tag on the design repository, named
Tag annotation is, for example, "Prototype production ordered for
N x XY-TNN.RR", with N being the number of parts ordered.
- After the tag has been created, only changes in the
[tb]Value layers are permitted in the
RR revision. For any other
changes to the board or schematic, a new revision
RR+1 is created in
a new directory that is appropriately named.
- If another
RR board production is initiated after changes allowed
per the rule above, no change is made to the revision designator, but
another tag is created, the tagname being appended with an ascending
letter indicating the sub-revision, for example
(ascending from a to z, then aa, ab, ... zz, aaa, ...).
For these sub-revisions, no special handling or bookkeeping in other
management systems is required, since they are electrically and
part-wise identical to the base design.
- Attach the schematic and board layout design files to the part in
- Attach a PDF export of the schematic (ensure that all pages are exported
and that it is not mirrored) and part placement map(s) (as produced by
place.scr) to the product in EloInv
Before stuffing the board
- Register product instance
- Label product instance
Last page update: